Below is a list of Caswell County post offices, the earliest of which apparently were established at Caswell Court House (Yanceyville) and Leasburg in 1796. Leasburg was the first county seat, being replaced in 1792 by Caswell Court House (Yanceyville) when Person County was split from Caswell County.
The following is from The Heritage of Caswell County, North Carolina, Jeannine D. Whitlow, Editor (1985) at 78 ("Yanceyville Post Office" by Jeanine D. Whitlow) (supplemented with postmasters appointed after 1985):
The post office at Yanceyville was first called Caswell Courthouse or Caswell. The name was changed to Yancey, no date given, and finally to Yanceyville March 2, 1835 while Thomas Graves was postmaster. As near as can be determined at this time, Thomas Bouldin, appointed Mar. 8, 1798, was Yanceyville's first postmaster. Succeeding postmasters in order of their appointment dates are:
Copyright © Caswell County Historical Association, Inc.
All Rights Reserved